Saturday, October 20, 2007

What do missionaries need?

This blog focuses mainly on the school, but I hope you won't think it a diversion to talk about the overall mission. Without the mission, the deaf school doesn't go on. Without the missionary, the mission doesn't go on. Read on.

This week I had the opportunity to go to a seminar on mission support with Agape Flights, my mail service. Now if the first thing that popped into your mind was finances, let me just say, that is only one part of the equation.

An all-around support for a missionary includes four principal things: prayer, participation, advocacy, and financial support. I need all these things from other Christians, if I'm to be successful in the work with these deaf children. Missions don't just consist of the missionary. It is a team effort. It is the church who works, one in one way, one in another, to accomplish the goal of reaching the world. I'm not doing missions, WE are.

Prayer. That one is obvious. Prayer for all kinds of things. In my case, for continued health and strength to do the job, for wisdom, for the Holy Spirit's guidance, for lives to be touched, for these children and their parents to come to know the Lord, for provision for all of my needs, and the needs of the ministry here. I could go on. But you get the idea. No prayer, means nothing worthwhile ever gets accomplished. The whole thing turns into social work, rather than mission work.

Advocacy. Telling a friend about the work with the deaf here. Would your friend be interested in being part of my support team in these four ways? I do enjoy visiting the US, but my time there is very limited. You who live there can make introductions for me so that I can keep on doing the work that needs to be done here.

Participation. This would include sending work teams, or individuals coming for long/short term missions. Being a helper from the US in some way: whether maintaining a website, doing some needed shopping, providing lodging or a car when I'm visiting the US--there are many many ways to participate.

Financial support. Here's the part not too many people like to talk about. Me neither. You'll notice I left it till last. But I do want you to give. Why? Because it is an opportunity for you to further the work of the kingdom. Because it allows me to keep working toward the church's goal of telling every person about Jesus. Both of us get blessed, the giver, and the receiver. And without financial support, let's face it, the whole thing falls apart. I want you to give, because I know that where your treasure is, is where your heart will be.

Thank you to all of you who are supporting me in these four areas. If you are not involved in these ways, would you like to be? After prayerful consideration, you may contact me at deafschool, followed by @gmail.com.

Blessings!
Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment