Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Tropical Depression Noel

The effects of this tropical depression just won't leave. Yesterday, the rain was intermittent, but mostly light, so it looked like the worst was over. Today I awoke to yet another downpour. I heard on TV that it was supposed to rain for another 24 hours. The Miami Herald has a slideshow at http://www.miamiherald.com/924/gallery/288864.html?number=8 if you'd like to get a look.

We are in a state of emergency here in the capital, and in much (all?) of the country. School, by the way, as been canceled for three days now, but that isn't the worst of it. There is widespread flooding. I don't know how much rain we've actually gotten. The predictions were 10-20 inches in general, with up to 30 in some areas.

Lots of very poor people have lost their homes and all their earthly possessions. So far on record, 30 people have died, thousands are homeless, and many are missing as well. Bridges have washed away, leaving many communities cut off from the rest of the country.

Currently I'm housesitting for a missionary couple who are stateside for a year. I'm in a sturdy cement block house in a good location--as in not low-lying. The fact that I still have running water, electricity (mostly) and internet amazes me. I am aware of the fact that I could lose these at any time.

Much of the city hasn't had electricity for a couple of days. One missionary friend told me their running water is black. So just to put your minds at rest, family and friends, even if you don't hear from me, I'm in a safe place. I may lose basic services at any time, but my house isn't likely to flood. If you don't hear from me, it's because I have no internet.

I just spoke with the director of the school where we have put the new classes, in Sabana Perdida. She said that some of the children of the school come from down by the bridge, where the water is over the rooftops.

No one can go in or out of Sabana Perdida right now, because the bridges are flooded and dangerous. She said she is blessed with phone service, but that the phones are out in most of the area, and the church's internet is down.

No comments:

Post a Comment