Sunday, October 7, 2007

New School

Maria (the teacher who co-founded the school) and I have been talking about a school in an area of the capital called Sabana Perdida for a couple of years. We have half a dozen students from there, and they have an hour commute each way. Well, our prayers have been answered.

There is a church there that invited me to do a presentation on Deaf ministry last year. They now have a couple of deaf children who attend, with no special help or interpreter. The mother of one of our students is a member of the church as well. The area has a large number of Deaf adults, and a very active cult recruiting them. The nearest Deaf church or ministry I know of is over an hour away from them, so there is no Christian witness to the Deaf people in the area.

About ten days ago, I received a call from a friend who works in the (hearing) school there, offering us two classrooms, free of charge. I made her a counter offer. Since her church is interested in working with Deaf ministry anyway, how about if I help them get a school started, and train their teachers? It would be their church's school, rather than an extension of this one. She presented this idea at their church council, and they agreed.

There is potential for a large group there, as many deaf children in the area are unschooled. I'm hoping it won't grow too fast, however, because I need to be able to train the teachers well before we get too busy.

Several of our students who live nearby, will be transferring to that school, enabling us to open up spaces for those children on our waiting list.

This means a very long daily commute for me, but that's okay. The deaf children in that area have been on my heart for so long.

The other significant thing is that I will need to hire another teacher to teach in my stead, while I am working at the other school.

We will appreciate your prayers that all the needed preparations will go smoothly, and especially that many Deaf people will come to know the Lord through the ministry of the church and school.

No comments:

Post a Comment