Monday, November 15, 2010

Framy

You may remember a while back, talking about a teenage boy named Framy. He was having problems with his one good eye. Now, he is legally blind. Apparently his retina slowly detached over a period of time, but none of the eye doctors he went to recognized or dealt with it, even though they did give him cataract surgery. [Because I was out of the country for this post, I depended on reports from the DR, rather than giving you first-hand info. As time passed and I was given more accurate info, I updated it here in brackets.]

Going blind is one of the greatest fears of a deaf person. Framy is having a hard time adjusting. He refuses to use a cane, although he really needs to have mobility training. He is way ahead communication-wise,  of the kids in the deaf-blind classes across town, and the teacher there says he is better off in the deaf school because of that. 

Please pray for Framy. He is going through a very difficult adjustment. Pray that he will put all his hope in the Lord, and that he can learn to live as independently as possible, and maintain relationships with the other deaf. Deaf-blindness is very isolating.

The other kids can communicate with him with hand on hand sign language. It will take him a while to become as fluent in that as he has been in regular sign. [This was inaccurately reported. New info on this is that he is able to use the tunnel vision he has still to understand visually.]

The deaf-blind class across town is sending over someone later this week to give his teacher and classmates orientation on how best to work with Framy in class.  The school does not have the advantage of the technology that deaf-blind people use in the US. Most likely, his classmates will be watching their teacher and taking turns interpreting to Framy what they are seeing. [This really depends on how constricted his tunnel vision is, which is unclear at this time. The more limited it is, the more likely that he will not be able to understand the teacher.]



2 comments:

  1. Hello, I am a sign language interpreter of many years and have also taught sign language. I have traveled to the DR several times to a mission in Pimentel, Duarte, DR. I am very interested in your work there.
    When I read what you are doing, I just get so excited, as I feel God has called me and tugging me to work in missions more and not just the short term missions.
    I was also interested in reading your interests- we have very much in common.
    Do you know of a school for deaf near Pimentel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that close to San Francisco? I believe there was one in SF, although I am not sure it is still there. Also Bonao has one, and La Vega, and Santiago. If you want to write to me at gmail, my name is deafschool.

    ReplyDelete