Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Opening Ceremony

This morning we had the opening ceremony for the "new" deaf school. It is new, in the sense that for the first time, the government is providing classroom space for the deaf students. I suspect it is the first time in Dominican history that that has happened. At least I don't know of any other school that gets that kind of help. And we do want the government to help, because they have a responsibility toward their deaf citizens.

Some Dept. of Education officials were present, and spoke. Afterwards, one mom stood up and explained how she had tried other schools to get help for her multiply handicapped daughter (she's deaf and has CP), and our center was the first that was able to help. Now they have better communication at home, whereas before she and her daughter didn't understand each other.

Several moms who were there for the first day came up to me and told me of how their children always pray at home.

J.P., a deaf student, has started coming to the deaf ministry of the church I attend. He was telling me about all the girls who had asked him to be their boyfriend. He turned them all down. He told me, "I can't just make the commitment that easily. I have to pray about it first."

Someone asked me to post the "after" videos, when the school was ready to open, so I'm going to add those in here for any who would like to see them.



No comments:

Post a Comment