Monday, November 5, 2007

Relief

If you want to see photos of Noel's visit, see http://www.flickr.com/photos/alabemos/

Sunday, I went down into the affected areas with a couple of doctors. They have a work team coming in, and want to see where they can best be used in the relief efforts. Happily, la Barquita was finally receiving some help. Two other areas we visited, el Caliche and Acapulco were in much need.

My church here collected food and clothes, and some members & I took them over to a church local to the affected area for distribution. When you know you don't have enough for everyone to have the same amount of everything, you can't just walk in and start giving out stuff, or you'll be mobbed! So on our Friday visits we took people aside and said, come to the church at 2:30, and then we gave them what we had. Between the two churches who have contributed, we will probably be able to provide clothing for a substantial amount of the community, but only limited food. We bought some food and mosquito nets, but they still need stoves and mattresses. Tomorrow, more distribution of the collected items will go on by the local church there.

Another missionary is going to check out the situation on Thursday; I pretty much have to leave it in others' hands at this point to get back to school.

It is good for the kids to get back into their studies, because it will provide some normalcy after the trauma of what they've gone through.

Personal note: I apparently have a burst eardrum, after a severe ear infection that I've had this past week. I'm rather deaf in that ear. Spanish is tough to follow, and English needs to be spoken on my good side! I went to an ENT who didn't diagnose it, followed by a regular Dr. who did! Tomorrow I need to go to another ENT, and try to find out just how serious it is. Today was a holiday, so no one was working except in the ER. Pray for me, that this will be healed up soon. Apart from the hearing loss, it has been rather painful.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment