Monday, September 3, 2007

masterpieces

Lots of new children are signing up, as we expected. Several are looking forward to their first year of school, regardless of the fact that they may be 7, or 11, or 12 years old already.

Today, although it was the beginning of the third week of school, was really the first week for most of the country. Parents simply waited until they got paid to bring their children, because they couldn't afford the uniforms, books, crayons, pencils, etc. needed at schools all across the land.

All our children have not arrived yet, but by the end of the week, we will probably have all that are coming. We have about 40 signed up, and expect to see from 30-36 by the time everything settles down.

These children are to me like a great work of art. I see the big chunk of marble. I know that trapped inside is the masterpiece, wanting to escape. I look for ways to show them how to be free of that prison they are trapped inside. I am not the artist. I'm just cooperating with the Master Artist as best I can. But he opens my eyes to see their beauty and their potential, and keeps me going forward, while difficulties arise on every side.

On reflection, I'd have to say, this has been the most difficult year thus far. I've had more moments of discouragement than ever before. I see myself so inadequate to the enormity of the task. There is so much to be done, and so few to do it. Pray then, with me, to the Lord of the Harvest, that he'll send workers into these fields which are simply overflowing.

But what if it all falls apart? I am no stranger to failure. There was a time in my life that failure was what I feared, perhaps most of all. But that is no longer true. Instead, I learn what I can, and get up and try again when I fail. I have no need to protect my reputation. I don't have to look successful. I just have to obey God.

I look at this school, and see all of the glaring mistakes I have made, and think sometimes, that I should just quit and start all over again, with all I have learned from all the things I didn't do right the first time! It is only by God's mercy that we are still functioning at all.

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment