Friday, May 18, 2007

Times are a changin'

Last Thursday I sprained my ankle. By Friday evening, I could not walk on it. As a result, no school for me on Friday.

This Friday I will be missing for a very different reason: my niece is coming into the country, and I'll be meeting her at the airport. She is fluent in Sign Language and will be helping at the deaf school. But best of all, she is a faithful Christian woman.

Today I went to ask about our staying at the same location next year. As it turns out, the Episcopal church that rents us space is changing priests. So it will be the new guy's decision. He will probably say yes, and raise the rent. Our greatest difficulty as a school thus far has always been the location. This one has been good for us, although barely adequate in terms of space. It doesn't really leave us any room for growth.

The preschool the church currently has, is going to be turned into a regular school with all ages under the new priest. This is doubtless going to mean a lot of change for us. They will be tearing down one of the two buildings (not the one we are in) to rebuild it as a school, with two stories instead of one. I don't relish the idea of a lot of building going on while we are in school.

The other change is that I will be moving this Saturday to the other side of town, to house sit for a missionary couple I know. They will be in the States for a year. After that, I'll be looking to see where the Lord will have me next. I'm thankful for the time I've had here, but the Lord has made it abundantly clear I'm not to return after the year is up.

There will be lots of walking at the new location, and I'll be much farther from school. Maybe I'll walk enough to get skinny again! (I'm trying to look on the bright side.) It's been very hot these last few days, and walking in the sun, even with an umbrella, as the custom is here, is not one of my favorite things to do right now.

Yesterday I checked the weather online, and it said 89° and "feels like 99°; you gotta love the heat index. It is pretty humid right now, having just rained a few minutes ago.

My house is in total disarray, as I'm packing up. I don't have boxes to put things in, so I've been using plastic garbage bags. Temporarily, I won't be able to make any school materials, but by the end of next week, everything should all be set up and ready to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment